"STERT, a chapelry in the parish of Urchfont, hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 2 miles S.E. of Devizes, its post town. The village, which is wholly agricultural, is situated near the road from Salisbury to Devizes. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Urchfont, in the diocese of Sarum. The church, dedicated to St. James, was erected in 1846. There is a National school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]