"STOCKTON, a parish in the hundred of Elstub, county Wilts, 4 miles S.E. of Heytesbury, its post town, 2 N.W. of Wiley, and 8 S.E. of Warminster. The village is situated on the river Wiley, and is chiefly agricultural. Near the Ridgeway or Roman road to-Sarum are earthworks, comprising an area of 62 acres, where many relics of Roman and British origin have been discovered. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £436, in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The parochial charities produce about £159 per annum, which go to Topp's almshouses. Stockton House is the principal residence. The South Wilts hounds meet at Stockton Wood. H. G. Biggs, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Stockton is 6 miles NE of Hindon. Grid Ref ST983383. Postcode BA12 0SE. Population 274 in 1831, 268 in 1951.