"STOURTON, a parish partly in the hundred of Mere, county Wilts, and partly in that of Norton Ferris, county Somerset, 2 miles N.W. of Mere, its post town, and 10 from Frome. The village is on the road from Bath to Poole, and near the river Stour. The parish includes the hamlet of Gasper. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Sarum, value £520. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has tombs of the Stour tons and Ho ares, including that of Sir Richard, the antiquary. The parochial charities produce about £68 per annum. Near Penn, or Wedgewood, in that part of the parish within the county of Somerset, are several thousands of pits or hollows, scattered over a surface of nearly 700 acres, forming a wide boggy tract, and supposed to be the site of a British town."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Stourton is 2 miles NW of Mere. Grid Ref ST775339. Postcode BA12 6QE. Population 653 in 1831, 361 in 1951.