Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Stourton
"STOURTON, a parish partly in the hundred of Mere, county Wilts, and partly in that of Norton Ferris, county Somerset, 2 miles N.W. of Mere, its post town, and 10 from Frome. The village is on the road from Bath to Poole, and near the river Stour. The parish includes the hamlet of Gasper. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Sarum, value £520. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has tombs of the Stour tons and Ho ares, including that of Sir Richard, the antiquary. The parochial charities produce about £68 per annum. Near Penn, or Wedgewood, in that part of the parish within the county of Somerset, are several thousands of pits or hollows, scattered over a surface of nearly 700 acres, forming a wide boggy tract, and supposed to be the site of a British town."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]