"STRATFORD-UNDER-THE-CASTLE, a parish in the hundred of Underditch, county Wilts, 2 miles N.W. of Salisbury, its post town, and 99 from London. The village is situated on the ancient Icknield Street and the river Avon. The parish comprises Old Sarum, or Sorbiodunum. The living is a perpetual car. in the diocese of Sarum, value £80, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, contains a tablet to Frances Nisbet, widow of Lord Nelson. The register dates from 1654. There is a National school for both sexes. Near the church was the tree where the great Earl of Chatham, whose father had a seat here, was first elected to parliament."
"AVON, a hamlet in the parish of Stratford-under-the-Castle, hundred of Underditch, in the county of Wilts, 2 miles from Salisbury. It is situated on the river Avon."
"OLD SARUM, an extra parochial place in the parish of Stratford-under-the-Castle, county Wilts. See Salisbury."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]