"STRATFORD-UNDER-THE-CASTLE, a parish in the hundred of Underditch, county Wilts, 2 miles N.W. of Salisbury, its post town, and 99 from London. The village is situated on the ancient Icknield Street and the river Avon. The parish comprises Old Sarum, or Sorbiodunum. The living is a perpetual car. in the diocese of Sarum, value £80, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, contains a tablet to Frances Nisbet, widow of Lord Nelson. The register dates from 1654. There is a National school for both sexes. Near the church was the tree where the great Earl of Chatham, whose father had a seat here, was first elected to parliament."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Stratford Subcastle or Stratford under the Castle is 2 miles NW of Salisbury. Grid Ref SU130326. Postcode SP1 3LL. Population 374 in 1831, 256 in 1951.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Stratford sub Castle, St Lawrence:
Description and Travel
Stratford-sub-Castle village website has history, description of the village now, information about the church and church bells.
- A transcription of the section for Stratford Subcastle from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Stratford Subcastle from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Stratford Subcastle to another place.
- The entry for Stratford Subcastle from British History Online.
- View maps of Stratford Subcastle and places within its boundaries.