Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Swallowcliffe
"SWALLOWCLIFFE, a parish in the hundred of Dunworth, county Wilts, 12 miles S.W. of Salisbury, its post town, and 8 N.E. of Shaftesbury. The village is situated under Sheet Hill, and on the road from Salisbury to Shaftesbury. There are quarries of building stone. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Sarum, value £80, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has been rebuilt, with a tower and three bells. The register dates from 1738. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum, realised from poors' land. There is a National school for the children of this parish and that of Anstrey. Middle Deam [sic] House is the principal residence. The Earl of Pembroke is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]