SWALLOWCLIFFE, a parish in the hundred of Dunworth, county Wilts, 12 miles S.W. of Salisbury, its post town, and 8 N.E. of Shaftesbury. The village is situated under Sheet Hill, and on the road from Salisbury to Shaftesbury. There are quarries of building stone. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Sarum, value £80, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has been rebuilt, with a tower and three bells. The register dates from 1738. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum, realised from poors' land. There is a National school for the children of this parish and that of Anstrey. Middle Deam [sic] House is the principal residence. The Earl of Pembroke is lord of the manor.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Swallowcliffe is 6 miles SE of Hindon. Grid Ref ST964271. Postcode SP3 5PA. Population 278 in 1831, 192 in 1951. For description, photos see community website.
- St Peter, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Swallowcliffe area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Swallowcliffe, St Peter:
- WSRO registers: Chr 1737-1933, Mar 1748-1998, Bur 1737-1992
- BTs before surviving registers for 1585-88, 1605, 1626, 1629-40, 1670-1699, 17103-08, 1716-29, 1736-38, 1742-43
- IGI Chr 1813-1877 Batch C054791, Mar 1813-1838 Batch M054791
- White Horse Baptisms 1737-1837
- Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1813-1837
- A transcription of the section for Swallowcliffe from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Swallowcliffe from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Swallowcliffe to another place.
- The entry for Swallowcliffe from British History Online.
- View maps of Swallowcliffe and places within its boundaries.