"TEFFONT-EVIAS, (or Teffont-ewyas), a parish in the hundred of Dunworth, county Wilts, 10 miles W. of Salisbury, its post town, 6 W. of Wilton, and 5 E. of Hindon. The village is situated at the head of the river Nadder, which rises in the chalk hills near the adjoining village of Teffont Magna, and forms a lake covering two acres. In the reign of Edward III. it belonged to Speaker Hungerford, the first who held that office. There is an excellent freestone quarry, besides extensive excavations, from which the stone used in building Salisbury Cathedral was taken. The living is a rectory's in the diocese of Sarum, value £240. The church has been rebuilt. The principal residence is Teffont House. It was the birth-place of Henry, Earl of Marlborough, Lord Treasurer and Chancellor of England in the reign of James II. There is a National school, partially endowed. Mrs. D'Salis owns the whole of the parish."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Teffont Evias is 6 miles SW of Wilton. Grid Ref ST993312. Postcode SP3 5RL. Population 176 in 1831.