Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"TIDCOMBE, a parish in the hundred of Kinwardstone, county Wilts, 7 miles S.W. of Hungerford. It includes the hamlet of Fosbury. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Sarum, value £77, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. There is also the district church of Fosbury, the living of which is a perpetual curacy The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Tidcombe is 6 miles NE of Ludgershall, and included Fosbury. Grid Ref SU290583. Postcode SN8 3SL. Population 243 in 1831, 158 in 1951 with Fosbury.
Common to all parishes is a Key to Abbreviations and a description of Church Records and Indexes for Wiltshire, including a complete Marriage Index for the county.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Tidcombe, St Michael:
- WSRO registers: Chr 1731-91, 1797-1907, Mar 1732-1846, Bur 1731-1791, 1797-1812
- BTs for 1622-23, 1632-35, 1667-68, 1698-99, 1713-15, 1722-24, 1751-52, 1768-69, 1777-79, 1783-1880
- VRI Chr 1731-1906, Mar 1732-1846
- WFHS transcript Chr and Bur 1646-1837
- White Horse Baptisms 1713, 1715-16, 1723-1840
- Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1800-1812
- National Burial Index 1620-1837
Indexes and registers of the church of Fosbury, Christ Church: (parish created from Tidcombe in 1856)
- WSRO registers: Chr 1856-1973, Mar 1857-1973, Bur 1856-1987
- VRI Chr 1856-1906, Mar 1857-1906
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Tidcombe which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Tidcombe has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU290583 (Lat/Lon: 51.323015, -1.585226), Tidcombe which are provided by: