We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Tockenham
"TOCKENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Kingsbridge, county Wilts, 3 miles S.W. of Wootton-Basset, its post town and railway station, and 86 from London. The village is situated on the road from London to Bath. The land is chiefly in pasture. The Great Western railway and the Wilts and Berks canal pass through the parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £283, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. John, contains memorials of the Buxton family. The parochial charities produce about £29 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]