National Gazetteer (1868) - Tollard Royal
TOLLARD-ROYAL, a parish, partly in the hundred of Cranborne, county Dorset, but chiefly in the hundred of Chalk, county Wilts, 8 miles S.E. of Shaftesbury, and 8 N.W. of Cranborne. Ludwell is its post town. The parish is apportioned into four farms, viz:, Higher Farm, Lower Farm, Corner Farm, and Thorn Farm. In the parish is an old farm-house, called "King John's Hunting Seat", thought to be the remains of an ancient royal residence for hunting in Cranborne chase. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £467. The church, dedicated to St. Peter-ad-Vincula, has recently been restored. There is a National Sunday-school. Lord Rivers is lord of the manor.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]