"KELLAWAYS, (or Gallows), a parish in the hundred of Chippenham, county Wilts, 3 miles N.E. of Chippenham, its post town, and 33 N.W. of Salisbury. It is bounded on the W. by the river Avon, and contains the village of Avon. The Great Western railway passes through the parish. The surface is flat, and subject to frequent inundations, which has rendered it necessary to construct two causeways supported on arches of brick. The soil is a light mould on a substratum of gravel. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £46. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £82. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is a modern structure containing one bell. The Earl of Carnarvon is lord of the manor.
TYTHERTON-KELWAYS, a parish in the hundred of Chippenham, county Wilts, 2 miles N.E. of Chippenham, of which it is a tything. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Chippenham, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Tytherton Kellaways, now just Kellaways on modern maps, was a tything in the parish of Bremhill.
Tony Woodward has provided a sample 1891 census transcript for Draycot Cerne and Tytherton Kellaways.
- St Giles, -, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Tytherton Kellaways area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Tytherton Kellaways, St Giles:
- A transcription of the section for Tytherton Kellaways from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Tytherton Kellaways from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Tytherton Kellaways to another place.
- View maps of Tytherton Kellaways and places within its boundaries.