"UPTON LOVELL, a parish in the hundred of Heytesbury, county Wilts, 5½ miles S.E. of Warminster, and 1½ mile S.E. of Heytesbury. The village is situated on the banks of the river Wiley. There is a woollen mill for the manufacture of fine broadcloth, employing a large number of hands of this and the adjoining villages. On Upton-Lovell Down is Knock Castle, a Roman encampment, with Bowls-Barrow near it. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £325, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church has a monument and effigy to the first Lord Lovell. The parochial charities produce about £15 per annum, which go to Crouch's school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Upton Lovell is 2 miles SE of Heytesbury. Grid Ref ST945408. Postcode BA12 0JW. Population 249 in 1831, 149 in 1951.