"URCHFONT, a parish-in the hundred of Swansborough, county Wilts, 5 miles S.E. of Devizes, its post town, and 3 N.E. of Market Lavington. The village is situated within a quarter of a mile from the road between Salisbury and Devizes. The parish includes the tythings of Eastcott and Wedhampton, and the chapelry of Wichfont, so called from a fountain or intermitting spring. This parish was once the property of Sir William Pynsent, Bart., who left it by will to the great Earl of Chatham, in testimony of respect for his character. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Stert annexed, in the diocese of Sarum, value £370, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was restored in 1840. The register dates from Henry VIII.'s time. The Independents have a chapel. There are National and infant schools. The graves in acorn field at Wickham's Green are said to be those of persons who died during the great plague. S. Watson Taylor, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"EASTCOTT, a tything in the parish of Urchfont, hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 1½ mile N.E. of Market Lavington."
"LYDEWAY, a tything in the parish of Urchfont, county Wilts, 3 miles S.E. of Devizes."
"WEDHAMPTON, a tything in the parish of Urchfont, hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 4 miles S.E. of Devizes, and 3½ N.E. of East Lavington."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]