Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Wanborough
"WANBOROUGH, a parish in the hundred of Kingsbridge, county Wilts, 3 miles S.E. of Swindon, its post town, and 6 S.W. of Shrivenham railway station. It is situated about a mile from the Hungerford and Swindon road, on the Roman way to Cricklade and Winton. The parish is divided into Upper and Lower Wanborough, and includes the hamlets of Hawpit and Nythe. Wanborough was formerly called Wodensbury. The manor came from the St. Amands, after the Conquest, to the Lovells. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £375, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Ambrose Goddard, Esq., and the President and Fellows of Magdalen College, are lords of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]