"WARMINSTER, a parish, post and market town, in the hundred of Warminster, county Wilts, 4 miles S. of Westbury, and 9 from Trowbridge. It is a station on the Wilts and Somerset branch of the Great Western railway, on the river Willey, and near the south-western boundary of Salisbury Plain. It is a petty sessions and polling town, including the hamlets of Boreham and Bugley. Warminster is mentioned in Domesday Book as Guersminstre, and having been held in demesne by Edward the Confessor paid neither Danegeld nor Hidage. The manor subsequently came through the Mauduits, Hungerfords, Howards, and others, to the Thynnes, of Longleat."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
The historic parish is St Denys.