"WEST DEAN, a parish partly in the hundred of Alderbury, in the county of Wilts, and partly in the hundred of Lower Thorngate, in the county of Hants, 7 miles S.W. of Stockbridge. It contains East Grimstead. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value with East Grimstead, in Wilts, £446, in the patronage of the Rev. H. Glossop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has tombs of the Evelyns, of Dean House, which is now in ruins, and a curious monument, with copper doors, dated 1669, to the Right Hon. R. Pierpoint, whose effigy in marble represents him undergoing the surgical operation under which he died. There is a chapel-of-ease at East Grinstead, in this parish. The foundations of a Roman villa were discovered here in 1740."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
West Dean is 7 miles SE of Salisbury. Grid Ref SU258272. Postcode SP5 1JQ. Population 360 in 1831, 180 in 1951.
- St Mary the Virgin, Rectory Hill, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the West Dean area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of West Dean, St Mary:
- WSRO registers: Chr 1813-1886, Mar 1754-1990, Bur 1813-1947
- BTs before surviving registers for 1599-1601, 1622-36, 1661-74, 1710-12, 1717-56, 1762-63, 1782-90, 1795-
- IGI Chr 1813-1875 Batch C058521, 1875-1885 Batch C058523; Mar 1754-1812 and 1814-1837 Batch M058521
- VRI Chr 1875-1886, Mar 1837
- Wiltshire Index Service Burials 1800-1837
- A transcription of the section for West Dean from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for West Dean from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from West Dean to another place.
- View maps of West Dean and places within its boundaries.