We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - West Grimstead
"WEST GRIMSTEAD, a parish in the hundred of Alderbury, county Wilts, 4 miles S.E. of Salisbury, its post town, and 10 N.W. of Romsey. The Salisbury branch of the London and South-Western railway has a station at West Dean, about 3½ miles E. of this village. The surface is undulating, and a considerable part covered with coppice-wood. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £260. The living is a rectory with the curacy of Plaitford annexed. The church is a small and old structure of flint, with quoins of freestone. The register commences in 1717. The Wesleyans have a place of worship and a day school. There is also a parochial school. The charities produce about £12 per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]