"WEST KINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Chippenham, county Wilts, 10 miles N.W. of Chippenham, its post town. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural, and is a meet for the Beaufort hounds. There are quarries of stone for common building purposes. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £553 14s. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £417, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a tower containing four hells. This living was formerly held by Bishop Latimer, whose favourite oak-tree is here. William Codrington, Esq., is lord of the manor. Near Ebbedown are vestiges of a Roman camp."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
West Kington is 8 miles NW of Chippenham. Grid Ref ST814776. Postcode SN14 7JE. Population 298 in 1831, in 1951.