National Gazetteer (1868) - West Knoyle
WEST KNOYLE, a parish in the hundred of Mere, county Wilts, 4 miles W. of Hindon, its post town, 3 E. of Mere, and 6 N. of Shaftesbury. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The land is chiefly arable, with some pasture, and about 150 acres of wood and copse. The parish is situated on the confines of the chalk downs. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £418. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Sarum, in the patronage of the Bishop of Salisbury. The church has a pinnacled tower containing five bells. There is a charity of £16 per annum for four poor widows who have not received parochial relief. There is a National school, with a library. Sir Hugh Hoare, of Stourhead, is lord of the manor, and owner of the land.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]