Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - West Wellow
"EAST WELLOW, a parish, partly in the hundred of Thorngate, county Hants, and partly in the hundred of Amesbury, county Wilts, 4 miles S.W. of Romsey. It is a scattered village situated between the two roads from Southampton to Salisbury. The living is a vicarage,* united with that of West Wellow, joint value £250. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret. The register dates from 1570. There are National and infant schools. W. E. Nightingale, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
WEST WELLOW, a parish in the hundred of Amesbury, county Wilts, 4½ miles N. of Romsey, and 1 mile S.E. of East Willow, with which it is united for ecclesiastical purposes. There is no church."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]