"WESTWOOD, (or Westwood cum Iford) a parish in the district of Trowbridge, forming a detached portion of the hundred of Elstub, county Wilts, 2 miles S.W. of Bradford, and 3 N.W. of Trowbridge. It is situated in the vale of the Avon, near its junction with the Frome, and at a short distance from the Kennet and Avon canal, which runs parallel with the Avon. The village contains the poorhouse for the Bradford union. The land chiefly belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury, annexed to the vicarage of Bradford. The dedication of the church is unknown. There is a National school for boys and girls. At Iford are traces of a Roman settlement."
"IFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Westwood, hundred of Elstub, county Wilts, 2 miles S. of Bradford. It was formerly a Roman settlement."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]