"WHADDON, a parish in the hundred of Melksham, county Wilts, 3 miles N.E. of Trowbridge. The parish is intersected by the river Avon and the Kennet and Avon canal. The living is a discharged rectory annexed to that of Hilperton. The manor belongs to Walter Long, Esq., M.P., who resides at Hilperton."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Whaddon is 3 miles NE of Trowbridge. Grid Ref ST880615. Postcode BA14 6NR. Population 58 in 1831.
- St Mary the Virgin, Whaddon Lane, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Whaddon area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Whaddon, St Mary the Virgin:
- A transcription of the section for Whaddon from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Whaddon from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Whaddon to another place.
- The entry for Whaddon from British History Online.
- View maps of Whaddon and places within its boundaries.