National Gazetteer (1868) - Whiteparish
"WHITEPARISH, a parish in the hundred of Frustfield, county Wilts, 7½ miles S.E. of Salisbury, and 3 S. of West Dean railway. It includes the Earldoms, an extra parochial district which once belonged to the Earls of Somerset, and the tythings of Alderstone, Abbotstone, Cowsfield Estuary, Cowsfield Lovers, and Whelpley. The principal seats are Bloxmore House, Brickworth, Cowsfield House, and Melchet Park, the last the residence of the Hon. F. Baring. The soil is clay and chalk. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £126. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was repaired in 1853. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels. There are National and endowed schools for both sexes. The charities produce about £100 per annum, including the school endowments."
"ABBOTSTON, a tything in the parish of Whiteparish and hundred of Trustfield, in county Wiltshire, 7 miles S.E. of Salisbury."
"ALDERSTONE, a tything in the parish of Whiteparish, hundred of Trustfield, in the county of Wilts, 7 miles to the S.E. of Salisbury."
"COWSFIELD LOVERS, (and Cowsfield Estuary) tythings in the parish of Whiteparish, in the county of Wilts, 8 miles E. of Salisbury."
"WHELPLEY, a tything in the parish of Whiteparish, county Wilts, 9 S.E. of Salisbury."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]