"WHITEPARISH, a parish in the hundred of Frustfield, county Wilts, 7½ miles S.E. of Salisbury, and 3 S. of West Dean railway. It includes the Earldoms, an extra parochial district which once belonged to the Earls of Somerset, and the tythings of Alderstone, Abbotstone, Cowsfield Estuary, Cowsfield Lovers, and Whelpley. The principal seats are Bloxmore House, Brickworth, Cowsfield House, and Melchet Park, the last the residence of the Hon. F. Baring. The soil is clay and chalk. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £126. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was repaired in 1853. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels. There are National and endowed schools for both sexes. The charities produce about £100 per annum, including the school endowments."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Whiteparish is 8 miles SE of Salisbury. Grid Ref SU247236. Postcode SP5 2RG. Population 1,254 in 1831, 647 in 1951.
- All Saints, Church of England
- Whiteparish Methodist Church, Dean Lane, Methodist
- Baptist Meeting, Other
- Chapel of St. Leonard, Whelpley, Other
- Primitive Methodist Chapel, Other
- Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Other
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Whiteparish area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Whiteparish, All Saints:
The Downton Story. The story of a parish-sponsored mass emigration of paupers from Downton, Wiltshire to Upper Canada in 1836.
- A transcription of the section for Whiteparish from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Whiteparish from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Whiteparish to another place.
- The entry for Whiteparish from British History Online.
- View maps of Whiteparish and places within its boundaries.