"WHITSBURY, (or Whitchbury), a parish in the hundreds of Cawden and Cadworth, county Wilts, 3½ miles N. W. of Fordingbridge, and 2½ from Breamore. The village is situated on the borders of Hampshire, and formerly belonged to Breamore Priory. From the hill on which the church stands is a prospect of Salisbury Cathedral, and the castle of Old Sarum in the distance. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £280. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. The register dates from 1714. On a hill in this parish are traces of a Roman or Saxon camp of 16 acres, surrounded by a trench."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Whitsbury or Whichbury or Whitchbury is 7 miles South of Salisbury and 3 miles NE of Fordingbridge (Hampshire), and was later in Hampshire. Grid Ref SU129192. Postcode SP3 3DQ. Population 183 in 1831, 203 in 1951.