Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Whitsbury
"WHITSBURY, (or Whitchbury), a parish in the hundreds of Cawden and Cadworth, county Wilts, 3½ miles N. W. of Fordingbridge, and 2½ from Breamore. The village is situated on the borders of Hampshire, and formerly belonged to Breamore Priory. From the hill on which the church stands is a prospect of Salisbury Cathedral, and the castle of Old Sarum in the distance. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Winchester, value £280. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. The register dates from 1714. On a hill in this parish are traces of a Roman or Saxon camp of 16 acres, surrounded by a trench."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]