"WILCOT, a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 6 miles S.W. of Marlborough, 10 E. of Devizes, and 1½ mile N.W. of Pewsey. The village is situated close to the Avon and Kennet canal. There are about 200 acres of open downs. The soil is generally a rich loam, and the land chiefly arable. The parish includes the tythings of Draycott-Foliat, Care, and Stowell, or Towel. At the time of the Norman survey it had a church, vineyard, and seat of Edward de Salisbury, and subsequently came to the Lovells, by whom it was held till the reign of Henry VII. There are several chalk pits. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £150. The church is dedicated to the Holy Cross. Colonel Wroughton is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Wilcot is 2 miles NW of Pewsey. Grid Ref SU140608. Postcode SN9 5NS. Population 677 in 1831, 578 in 1951.