National Gazetteer (1868) - Wilcot
"WILCOT, a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 6 miles S.W. of Marlborough, 10 E. of Devizes, and 1½ mile N.W. of Pewsey. The village is situated close to the Avon and Kennet canal. There are about 200 acres of open downs. The soil is generally a rich loam, and the land chiefly arable. The parish includes the tythings of Draycott-Foliat, Care, and Stowell, or Towel. At the time of the Norman survey it had a church, vineyard, and seat of Edward de Salisbury, and subsequently came to the Lovells, by whom it was held till the reign of Henry VII. There are several chalk pits. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £150. The church is dedicated to the Holy Cross. Colonel Wroughton is lord of the manor."
"DRAYCOTT FOLIATT, a tything in the parish of Wilcot, in the county of Wilts, 8 miles E. of Devizes."
"OARE, a tything and chapelry in the parish of Wilcot, hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 2 miles N.W. of Pewsey, its post town, and 4 S.W. of Marlborough. The tything is situated on the Kennet and Avon canal. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Wilcot, in the diocese of Sarum. The church is a small ancient structure."
"STOWELL, a tything in the parish of Wilcot, hundred of Elstub, county Wilts, 6 miles S. S.W. of Marlborough. The principal residence is Stowell Lodge, formerly the seat of Admiral Sir G. Montague, Bart."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]