Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Wilsford (near Pewsey)
"WILSFORD, a parish in the hundred of Swanborough, county Wilts, 6 miles S.W. of Pewsey, and 7 S.E. of Devizes. It is situated on the river Severn, and is frequently written Wivelsford and Wilsford Dauntsey. The parish includes the tything of Manningford-Bohun and the hamlet of Cottenham. The living is a vicarage,* value £250, in the patronage of St. Nicholas Hospital, at Salisbury. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. Sir Francis Astley is lord of the manor."
"MANNINGFORD-BOHUN, a tything in the parish of Wilsford, hundred of Swansborough, county Wilts, 2 miles S.W. of Pewsey. It adjoins the parish of Manningford-Abbots."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]