We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Winterbourne Bassett
"WINTERBOURNE-BASSETT, a parish in the hundred of Selkley, county Wilts, 7 miles N.W. of Marlborough, and 5½ S. of Wootton-Bassett. It is bounded on the N. and E. by extensive downs, over which are scattered numerous Druid stones and barrows. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £635, in the patronage of Magdalene College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, or St. Katherine, was restored in 1857. It contains a carved font and monuments of the Baskerville family, who long resided here. The register commences in 1681. There is a parochial school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]