"WINTERBOURNE-BASSETT, a parish in the hundred of Selkley, county Wilts, 7 miles N.W. of Marlborough, and 5½ S. of Wootton-Bassett. It is bounded on the N. and E. by extensive downs, over which are scattered numerous Druid stones and barrows. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £635, in the patronage of Magdalene College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, or St. Katherine, was restored in 1857. It contains a carved font and monuments of the Baskerville family, who long resided here. The register commences in 1681. There is a parochial school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Winterbourne Bassett is 8 miles NW of Marlborough. Grid Ref SU102749. Postcode SN4 9PU. Population 288 in 1831, 163 in 1951.
- St Katharine & St Peter, -, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Winterbourne Bassett area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
Indexes and registers of the parish church of Winterbourne Bassett, St Katherine & St Peter:
- A transcription of the section for Winterbourne Bassett from
the National Gazetteer (1868).
- The entry for Winterbourne Bassett from
A Vision of Britain through time.
- Ask for the gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Winterbourne Bassett to another place.
- The entry for Winterbourne Bassett from British History Online.
- View maps of Winterbourne Bassett and places within its boundaries.