"WINTERBOURNE MONKTON, a parish in the hundred of Silkley, county Wilts, 7 miles N.W. of Marlborough. The surface is flat and the soil light. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of Avebury. The church is dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. There is a parochial school with a small endowment bequeathed by the late Mr. Hitchcock."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Winterbourne Monkton is 7 miles NE of Marlborough. Grid Ref SU100722. Postcode SN4 9PW. Population 263 in 1831, 189 in 1951.