"WINTERBOURNE STOKE, a parish in the hundred of Branch and Dole, county Wilts, 4½ miles W. of Amesbury, and 8 N.W. of Salisbury. The village is situated on the road from Amesbury to Hindon and Shaftesbury. The parish comprises an extent of down land forming part of Salisbury Plain. On the downs near Conegarth are many barrows and traces of an ancient encampment. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £220. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has recently been repaired, and the chancel rebuilt. There is a National school. Lord Ashburton is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Winterbourne Stoke is 5 miles SW of Amesbury. Grid Ref SU076406. Postcode SP3 4SU. Population 272 in 1831, 205 in 1951.