Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.
Open a form to report problems or contribute information
National Gazetteer (1868) - Winterslow
"WINTERSLOW, a parish in the hundreds of Alderbury and Amesbury, county Wilts, 6½ miles N.E. of Salisbury. The village is situated on the line of the old Roman road from Salisbury to Winchester. Near the Winterslow Hut are three barrows, one of which, on being opened some years since, was found to contain an arched vault of rude flints wedged together, enclosing two large sepulchral urns filled with relics, supposed to have been those of some illustrious British female; and near, an ancient cross; many Saxon and early Norman coins have been found cut into halves and quarters, hence the names of half-penny and farthing, or fourth-ing. Near this spot one of the horses of the Exeter mail coach was seized by a lioness in 1816, supposed to have escaped from a travelling menagerie. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £785, in the patronage of St. John's College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There are National schools."