Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Woodford
"WOODFORD, a parish in the hundred of Underditch, county Wilts, 4 miles N.W. of Salisbury, and 4 S.W. of Amesbury. The parish, which is divided into Middle, Upper, and Lower, is bounded on the E. by the river Avon. Here was formerly a palace of the bishops of Salisbury, and after the battle of Worcester, Charles II. was concealed by the Hydes in Heals House. The living is a vicarage consolidated with that of Wilsford. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a National school."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]