"WOOTTON-RIVERS, a parish in the hundred of Kinwardstone, county Wilts, 4 miles S. of Marlborough, 3 N.E. of Pewsey, and 15 E. of Devizes, on the Kennet and Avon canal. There are an iron foundry and an agricultural implement factory. The surface in some parts is hilly, and the land chiefly arable. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £450, in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge, and Brasenose College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has an E. window of three lights. There are a National school and a charity of £15 per annum for apprenticing poor children."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Wootton Rivers is 3 miles NE of Pewsey. Grid Ref SU197629. Postcode SN8 4NN. Population 405 in 1831, 247 in 1951.