"WYLYE, (or Wily), a parish in the hundred of Branch and Dole, county Wilts, 11 miles W. of Salisbury, and 6 S.E. of Heytesbury, and 7 N.W. of Wilton. The parish, which includes the tything of Deptford, is situated on the Great Western road, and is watered by the river Wylye, an affluent of the Avon. The soil is a black loam on a substratum of chalk. About a mile from the village is a British encampment called Badbury-Rings, enclosing about 17 acres, and 2 miles from Deptford Inn is Yarnbrough Castle, a large Roman encampment. Wylye gives name to a deanery in the archdeaconry and diocese of Salisbury. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Salisbury, value £500. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1844. There is a Dissenting chapel and a National school. The charities produce about £10 per annum. The Earl of Pembroke is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Wylye or Wyly or Wily is 7 miles NW of Wilton, 7 miles NE of Hindon. Grid Ref SU007377. Postcode BA12 0RN. Population 476 in 1831, 400 in 1951.