"BESFORD, a chapelry and village in the parish of Pershore St. Andrew, union and hundred of Pershore, in the county of Worcester, 2 miles from Pershore, its post town. It is situated on the bank of the river Avon, near the Birmingham and Gloucester railway, which has a station at Defford, 1½ mile north from the village. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of St. Andrew's, Pershore, in the diocese of Worcester. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a small old building with a tower. Besford Court is the principal residence. Sir Thomas Sebright, Bart., is lord of the manor, and sole proprietor of the parish, which contains about 1,300 acres."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]