"CRADLEY, a chapelry in the parish of Halesowen, in the lower division of the hundred of Halfshire, in the county of Worcester, 2½ miles S. of Dudley, and 2 N.E. of Stourbridge. It is pleasantly situated on the river Stour, near the Dudley canal. The inhabitants are engaged in agriculture, and in the extensive iron-works in the neighbourhood. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Worcester, value £116, in the patronage of the Vicar of Halesowen. The Unitarians, Wesleyans, Baptists, and New Connexion Methodists, have each a chapel. There is a National school for both sexes. Lord Lyttelton is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]