GRIMLEY - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"GRIMLEY, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, county Worcester, 4 miles E. of Martley, and 4 N. of Worcester, its post town and railway station. It is situated near the banks of the river Severn, which is here navigable. The village, which is considerable, extends along the Ludlow road to Worcester. Hops are grown in this neighbourhood, and brickmaking is carried on. There is a spring here whose waters possess medicinal properties. Hallow Park, once the seat of Earl Beauchamp, is situated here. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £280, and the vicarial for £170. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Worcester, value with the curacies of Hallow and Christ's Chapel annexed, £541, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a neat structure, dedicated to St. Bartholomew. The parochial charities, including £60 endowment to Hallow school, produce nearly £200 per annum. There is a National school, also schools at Grimley and Broad Heath. Thorngrove, where Lucien Bonaparte resided for some time, is the principal seat, and there are some other good residences."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]