"LITTLE MALVERN, a parish in the hundred of Lower Oswaldslow, county Worcester, 4 miles S. of Great Malvern, its post town, and 1 mile S. of the Malvern-Wells stations, on the Worcester and Malvern and Tewkesbury and Malvern branch railways. The village, which is small and wholly agricultural, is situated under the Malvern Hills, on the roads from Ledbury to Worcester and Upton. It formerly had a Benedictine cell to Worcester Abbey, founded in 1171 by the two brothers Joceline and Eldred, in a gloomy cavity under the Herefordshire Beacon, which is partly in this parish. From the summit of this hill, which is 1,444 feet above the sea-level, a most extensive view is commanded over the rich plains of Worcester, Gloucester, and Hereford, with the hills of South Wales in the distance."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]