"NORTHFIELD, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, county Worcester, 6 miles S.W. of Birmingham, its post town, and 2 W. of the King's Norton station on the Gloucester railway. It is situated on the small river Rea, and on the road from Birmingham to Worcester. The parish contains the hamlets of Selly, Hay, Shendley, and Bartley. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in nail making. There are chemical works and freestone quarries. The surface is flat towards the E., but hilly in the W. The soil is a fertile loam, producing good crops of wheat and beans. The tithes of this parish have been commuted for a rent-charge of £805, and the glebe comprises 44 acres, valued at £80 per year."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Northfield from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.