OLDSWINFORD is a parish in the diocese of Worcester. It was historically a large parish in the north of Worcestershire, but also included Amblecote in Staffordshire. It included the township of Stourbridge, now a large town and its own parish. It also included Lye and Wollescote.
[Description(s) provided by Dave Huddart/Peter Abbott ©2004]
- The most significant collections are at:
- Worcester County Record Office
- Dudley Archives
- Stourbridge Public Library
- Oldswinford St Mary's Monumental Inscriptions have been transcribed and are available from BMSGH Bookshop.
- Oldswinford Census Records for 1841-1901 and any indexes and inscriptions can found in the usual places described on GENUKI Worcestershire.
- St Mary's Church:
- Printed transcripts 1693-1813 have been produced by BMSGH and are available from BMSGH Bookshop.
- Certificates of birth, death and marriage can be obtained from the Superintendent Registrars at Stourbridge District Register Office.
- Quarter Session records which mention Oldswinford are included on the Access to Archives Catalogue [search for oldswinford AND quarter sessions].
- The parish stretched from Norton and Wollaston through Amblecote, Upperswinford and Stourbridge (Bedcote) in the middle to Lye, Wollescote, Foxcote and Oldnall in the east. It was surrounded by Kinver, Pedmore, Halesowen and Kingswinford. The parish later lost Amblecote, Stourbridge, Wollaston, Stambermill, Wollescote and Norton. The name is derived from the place where swine forded the river (Stour).
- The transcription of the section for Old Swinford from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Wychbury Hill is an Iron Age hillfort, and there is the line of a Roman road which can still be followed.
- The first documentary evidence is in a charter of 954 referring to a small estate of 6 hides called Swine Ford. Referred to as Suineforde in the Domesday Book 1086. It later became known as Oldswinford to distingish it from the adjacent Swinford Regis or Kingswinford over the river.
- Parish history is briefly described on Oldswinford.com.
- Much of the more significant history of the parish is tied up with that
of the township Stourbridge, now a major town and parish in its own
right. The definitive history is given in:
- Perry, N - History of Stourbridge. Phillimore, 2001. ISBN 1-86077-183-1.
- Specifically there is a History of Wollaston website.
- Wayne Cronin-Wojdat has published a book on Land Ownership & Use in Wollescote, Old Swinford, Worcestershire 1710 - 1830: Transcripts of various documents dated between 1710 - 1830 relating to the ownership and use of numerous pieces of land in Wollescote, in the Parish of Old Swinford, Worcestershire, England. Full details of all the transcripts included in the book, and an index of all the names and land mentioned in them is available on the Historical Gems website.
- The historical parish comprised the manor of Amblecote in Staffordshire, and the manor of Oldswinford itself. There was later a submanor of Bedcote (for the township of Stourbridge). The manor was variously owned by the Beauchamps, the Crown, the Lyttletons, the Foleys, and the Earls of Dudley.
- Facsimile maps for Stourbridge North (1901) and Stourbridge South (1914) have been published by Alan Godfrey Maps available from BMSGH Bookshop.
- The most well-known occupation was glassmaking,
and old glassmaking families are given in
URL no longer valid
- Poor Law records have been indexed and can be bought from BMSGH Bookshop.
- Being in the diocese of Worcester, most wills proved prior to 1858 will be at Worcester Record Office.
- King Edward Grammar School was founded in 1552.
- Oldswinford Hospital School:
Oldswinford Hospital School was founded in 1667. Its school records are included in the Access to Archives Catalogue
[search for oldswinford AND hospital]
- BMSGH Stourbridge Branch has many members researching in the Oldswinford area.
Amended 10th April 2006 - Peter Abbott.