"PIRTON, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Pershore, county Worcester, 5 miles S.E. of Worcester, its post town, 5 N.W. of Pershore, and 1 mile from Wadborough railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated in a valley, and is entirely agricultural. The Birmingham and Gloucester railway passes through the parish. The surface is hilly, and the soil a stone brash. Under an Enclosure Act, obtained in 1763, the tithes were commuted for 142 acres of land. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Croome d'Abitot, in the diocese of Worcester. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is a free school, which is entirely supported by the Earl of Coventry, who is lord of the manor and sole landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]