"SHELSLEY-BEAUCHAMP, (or Great Shelsley), a parish in the upper and lower divisions of the hundred of Doddingtree, county Worcester, 10 miles N.W. of Worcester, its post town, 8 S.W. of Stourport, and 3 N.W. of Martley. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Teme, and is chiefly agricultural. The land is partly in hop grounds. The parish contains the hamlet of King's Shelsley. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester, value £376. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a modern structure, with an old tower containing six bells. The parochial charities produce about £127 per annum, of which £61 goes to the free school, founded and endowed by the Rev. Owen Plwys in 1681.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Shelsley Beauchamp from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.