"SUCKLEY, a parish in the upper division of Doddingtree hundred, county Worcester, 10 miles W. of Worcester, its post town, 7 S.W. of Martley, and 5 S.E. of Bromyard. The village is on Cradley Brook. The parish contains the hamlets of Alfrick and Lulsey, each of which has a chapel-of-ease. The land is partly in hop-grounds. The living is a rectory* with the curacies of Alfrick and Lulsley annexed, in the diocese of Worcester, value £634, in the patronage of the crown. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, has some oak seats of great antiquity, also several old monuments. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The parochial charities produce about £84 per annum, of which £11 go to Palmer's free school. Earl Somers is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]