"TENBURY, a parish, post, and market town, in the upper division of Doddingtree hundred, county Worcester, 22 miles N.W. of Worcester. It is a junction station on the Tenbury and Bewdley and Shrewsbury and Hereford railways. It is situated in the fertile valley of the Teme, which is here a considerable river, separating Worcestershire from Salop. Tenbury is a polling and petty sessions town. The parish includes the hamlets of Tenbury-Foreign, Berrington, and Sutton, and was held by Richard Fitz-Richard at the Conquest, and subsequently came from the Lacys, Mortimers, &c., to the Cornwalls."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Tenbury from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.