"WORCESTER, comprises the parishes of St. John Bedwardine, St. Clement, All Saints, St. Swithin, St. Oswald, St. Nicholas, St. Martin, St. Andrew, St. Alban, St. Michael Bedwardine, St. Helen, and St. Peter, it is a cathedral city and county of itself, market and assize town, a parliamentary and municipal borough, capital of the county of Worcestershire, and the seat of a bishopric, in the hundred of Oswaldslow, and in the union, diocese, archdeaconry, and deanery of Worcester, 29 miles N. of Gloucester, 26½ S.W. of Birmingham, and 111 N.W. of London by road, and 121 by Great Western railway."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Worcester from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.